Purpose: Help your child learn to care for others. Help your child learn to listen and talk to others.
For this Activity you will need:
- Sit on the floor with your child. Place your child across from you.
- Pick up the penguin. Show it to your child.
- Talk to the penguin. Use different voice tones when talking. Don’t be afraid, it can be fun! For example: ask the penguin:
- “You look happy! Why are you so happy?”
- Using deep voice, have the penguin say “I am happy when you give me lots of hugs!”
- Hug and kiss the penguin.
- Place the penguin in your child’s hand.
- Say: “Now it’s your turn to play.” Help your child give the bunny hugs and kisses.
- Be sure to praise your child: “That’s wonderful! Aren’t hugs and kisses nice?”
- Talk with your child often. During baths, while diapering, and over dinner are great times to talk with your child.
- When your child asks for a snack or drink, encourage the use of manners. Remind your child to say “please” and “thank you.”
Support your child in the area of social & emotional development!
Social & emotional development involves:
- Getting along with others.
- Making and keeping friends.
- Handling emotions.
- Expressing oneself.
- Following rules and routines.
- Wanting to learn new things.
- Starting and finishing an activity.
- Taking responsibility for actions.
When your child starts school, she will be more likely to do well if she is able to do these things.
You can help your child’s social and emotional development, as well as his language and literacy skills, by doing these activities.