Purpose: Help your child explore music and the sounds that different instruments make!
For this Activity you will need:
- Musical instruments (a tambourine, cymbals, maracas, a castanet, or a drum and drumsticks)
- Hold your child on your lap and place the instruments in front on you.
- Pick up each instrument out and show your child the sound that each one makes.
- Let your baby enjoy making sounds with the instruments.
- Play different kinds of music, such as classical, jazz, pop and country, for your child.
- When you listen to music, help your child dance or clap to the beat of the music.
- Sing to your child! As your child gets older, have him sing the words with you!
- Expose your child to other forms of art. Let your child use crayons and paper to draw a picture! Let your child use whipped cream or pudding to paint a picture!
The arts involve:
- Trying different arts activities, such as dancing, singing, acting, painting and drawing.
- Asking questions about and looking for new ways to dance, make music, act or create art.
- Using different art materials, such as puppets, costumes, instruments, paint, glue, scissors and crayons.
- Showing an interest in other children’s art activities.
When your child starts school, she will be more likely to do well if she is able to do these things.
You can help your child develop skills in the arts by doing this activity.